The Truth About Change — It’s Uncomfortable

I am going through some major changes in my life right now.

And sometimes I feel uncomfortable.

Anytime you step out of your comfort zone, feelings of discomfort are bound to crop up.

In fact, this is how you know you are charting new territory. It’s actually very exciting.

LTwater

To explain this whole idea of change being uncomfortable, I wanted to use and elaborate on an analogy I learned from A Course In Miracles teacher Earl Purdy. (Side note: Earl records and uploads all his classes to YouTube. You can watch for free. Highly recommended!)

So imagine your life is a bucket of water. At the bottom of the bucket there’s a bunch of dirt, also known as all your fear, anger, past grievances, worries, and the memories of your past you are using to punish yourself with now. (prom night anyone?)

When things in life are going the way you want them to go, all the dirt settles to the bottom of your life bucket. For example, when your relationships are going great and you have some jingle jangle in the bank, life seems to be rockin’.

Then, all of the sudden, someone doesn’t do what you want them to do. Things seem out of your control and the bucket gets shaken up. You get angry, blame other people and feel helpless for a while until the dirt settles back down.

This is the cycle that most people operate in, and that’s totally fine. It’s not “good” or “bad”.

All I know is, I’ve been there. I’ve allowed my peace to be disturbed by external things. I’ve depended on other people and opportunities to make me happy, and I thought I knew what would make me feel satisfied in life.

My bucket had some amazing clear water times and some muddy water times, but finally, I got to the point where I was sick of the ups and downs. I was tiered of feeling at the mercy of external circumstances that seemed to be kicking my bucket.

I asked myself, could life really be the amazing clear water all the time? I was excited by the thought, because deep down I knew the answer was a big fat YES!

This is when I started on my spiritual journey, and let me tell you, my life bucket got a real rockin’!

When you embark on a spiritual journey, its like holding a hose of clear water over your bucket. What I mean by “spiritual journey” is a commitment to seeing yourself and the world differently. It’s listening to truthful loving ideas and the release of blame on external circumstances for the way you feel. It’s a return to the truth of who you are, which is love.

It means taking full responsibility for everything that happened and will happen for you. This is fresh clean water to your life.

But what happens is, the sudden inflow of water stirs up all that dirt at the bottom of your bucket. This is when change feels uncomfortable and a lot of people stop. A lot of people turn their spiritual faucet off and claim this crazy “look within” stuff doesn’t work.

If your really committed to changing your life and the way you see yourself, your going to have to release all the fear and anger from your past. Sorry, but it’s going to come up, and your going to have to look at it so that it can be released.

A Course In Miracles says, “look but don’t dwell”. In other words, look at it, but don’t analyze it. Analyzing will keep you stuck.

If you’re aware that all the dirt is going to come up, and if you are willing to release it, what happens is the fresh water keeps pouring in and eventually your bucket starts to overflow. The dirty water gets released and eventually your entire bucket is full of clear peaceful water.

This is how it works people. Keep your spiritual faucet on! (click to tweet)

My bucket is overflowing. Sometimes it feels messy and confusing. The most important thing you can do is keep reading truthful ideas, listen to powerful affirmations, say some prayers, and remember that you are perfectly innocent and safe. The dirt’s got nothin’ on you!

Keep moving, and remember, nothing is outside your bucket  ;)

If you enjoyed this post please share it with your friends!

Have any thoughts on this?  I would love to hear from you in the comments below.

Peace, possibilities and clear buckets,

Signature

Share the joy!

Have you done your Soul Workout today? Get free weekly tips to create more peace in your life!

Comments

1. Rhonda says

Amanda, you are very wise and aware at such a young age. I have been going through a spiritual change and life change for the past year. I recently moved from California, after living there for 30 years, back to N.C where I grew up. Starting over with everything at age 55. I have faced many fears and deep depression about loss and upheaval. I have found that having a strong spiritual practice has been my best friend along with the support of my family. Thank you for being brave and for facing your fears… Glad I found your website.

2. Carie says

Amanda,
    The part you said about the dirt getting stirred, you get uncomfortable then you stop on your journey..that is me…completely. I have been down the road of trying to change for many years and I always have some external issue that I put the blame on and then the brakes on my progress of change. I know I fear the unknowns of change and it brings me to a standstill but the idea of always realizing that while uncomfortable it is necessary. I also love the quote about not dwelling…I analyze everything to death. It’s time to stop, acknowledge and then move forward.

Once again thank you for an awesome post!!

3. says

Your post really spoke to me – it suddenly seems to explain so much about the patterns of spiritual growth in my life! Thank you for sharing!

4. Lamont says

Great article! It’s very difficult to step out of our comfort zones, but when we do, we can surprise ourselves. The struggle a lot of people (including myself) seem to have is letting go of the past. Once we let go our spiritual journey can continue to flourish. Thanks for this article!

5. Scott says

Hi Amanda! Great great post and very well said. I chose to take a turn in my life and go down my spiritual path about 2 years ago. It wasn’t hard to see the path as it kind of chose me in a way. The hard part was exactly what your post described. The hard part was staying on the path while having all the dirt inside get mixed together with the clear water. It’s very hard, but that’s also kind of the exciting part. You kind of get those aha! moments and soon, like you said, at some point you overflow with the pristine water that we all are. But to be in that muddy stage and not seeing the end of the tunnel, whew is that hard? It forces you to live in the present and draw from strength you were probably not even aware you had. I’ve been told I’m very wise and aware for my age (I just turned 30). Being aware is what living is about. I’m looking forward to reading more posts as I can tell you are very self aware. It’s a pleasure to come across someone with your awareness. Isn’t a beautiful thing? Great website and thank you so much for sharing!

• Amanda says

Hey Scott, thank you so much for your comment! It’s true, you do have to draw on strength you were unaware you had. To me that is the most beautiful part because it brings on the awareness of how powerful we all really are! It’s awesome to connect with you Scott :)

6. Ahsan says

Hey Amanda Great post. I think what you are getting at is the human condition of inertia or lack of ability (but not desire) to change. The human minds like the familiar, what it already knows (like when you go to a party yet still spend most of the time talking to people you already know), so by default change is scary and hard to implement. We all know we should change ‘something’ but implementing those changes is a hard thing. I enjoyed reading about this, and I feel personally for me the important thing is realizing our human biases that cause us to get away from changing before we try to do so.

• Amanda says

Hey Ahsan! When you know beforehand that you might experience fear or discomfort, you won’t let it stop you. It’s a beautiful thing :) Thanks for commenting!

7. David says

I really don’t have much to write except…awesome post! I really enjoyed the bucket analogy. Here’s to clear buckets for everyone!

8. Maureen says

Hi Amanda,
    New to the website and wanted to say thanks! Will be a frequent visitor. You have and are a gift.

9. Anita says

I really enjoyed this post and I agree with all of it… it helped me make a little more sense of how to deal with things currently, but I just am confused about how you are supposed to look at things which have happened, and your current situation, but not analyze these circumstances and why they may have happened or why you’re feeling the way that you do and if it may be because of them? It is getting me stuck, I do agree, but at the same time I don’t know how to just throw things to the bottom of the bucket and get on with it.