If you avoid the fear, you also avoid the joy… (a lesson in falling in love)

So it happened. I fell in love. Sorry it’s taken me so long to tell you. I’ve been a little scared to admit it.

You see, I’ve fallen in love before.

With myself. My work. Mountain biking. Snowboarding. Mother nature. The dance. Wonderment. Homemade chai….

Being in love with something feels oh so good. But for some reason, falling in love with another person always scared the bejeezus out of me.

That seemed like a level of vulnerability I was not yet ready to let myself feel.

So I prayed for the strength to be vulnerable and the self-love I needed in order to love someone else.

And with time, without me even realizing it, I did fall in love, in the simplest most pure form I could have imagined. A love with no expectations. A love of exploration.

But as you’ll discover in this weeks VLOG, with that love you open yourself up to potential pain… which I had a brief glimpse of this past week.

Click below to watch the video and find out what I learned about love and how the fear or pain can ultimately lead you to the realization of your own inner strength.

What has your experience been with falling in love? How have you gotten through the fear?

I’d love to hear your comments and experiences below!

With love,

Signature

Share the joy!

Comments

1. says

Hi Amanda, As always great message. Want to share with you an incredible book on how to spiritually handle fear well and other really good stuff. Wisest material I’ve ever encountered in my 70 years of tracking down the best wisdom available, like what you share. The book is, The Zen Leader by Ginny Whitelaw. She starts where you did about not fearing fear. I have put other projects on hold until I completely grok this one except, of course, Wednesday Soul Workouts.

Love, Peace and Joy,

Theo

2. Brian D says

“Don’t fear the fear”, Wow, your timing is I been in sync with happenings in my life. I just practiced this asking someone on a first date the other night!

After getting divorced I took over a year off, focused on myself and dived into things that got me in tune to my spirituality. I discovered a lot of fears I had based on past experiences. So I really had to pay close attention on what was a past fear and what is fear happening right now! I built past fears that played into things like public speaking, going to the gym for the first time, projects at work, and financial decisions. As I sorted through the fears and writing down what I was truly thinking, things got clearer. I was able to process the fears and come to an understanding if it is disturbance in me, than the fear is only in me. I even overcame my fear of spiders, although I don’t see myself with a tarantula any time soon. I feel I have got to the point where I am mainly fearful of loud noises, falling, and of course good fears like you described when a loved one gets hurt. I consider them good because we learn and grow from these fears and we do not get held back by them. We can develop deeper empathy and compassion with these good fears as long as we keep our mind open and are willing.

Thanks for today’s post!

3. says

So happy for you!! Enjoy to the max! My last experience was going totally overboard and losing myself in the process while showering him with my love. That was wrong and a difficult lesson to learn, however I know now it is great and fantastic to fall in love but at all times stay true to yourself! Big hugs and lots of happiness to you!

4. Ani says

“The fear will not crush you.” Those words alone helped me. Thank you, Amanda. And I’m very happy for you!! :)

5. says

Hey Amanda,

I absolutely love that you took it there with this video. As I listened to you I thought about what it is I fear, “rejection” when it comes to me personally and also my business. Your words inspire me to explore this feeling to overcome this fear in rejection as I did when it comes to my love life. So I love this! Thank you for sharing!

• Amanda says

Thank you for this comment Siedah. Rejection in business is something for me to explore too. Sometimes I feel like my business is so much a part of me. It’s scary to open yourself up to criticism and in my case, potentially thousands of people reading personal stories and struggles (in my recent Miracles and Munchin’ emotional eating guide launch). Phew, it’s a lot to work through sometimes. Thank you. I love knowing that we all go through similar experiences ;)